Application Process FAQApply Online
Q: How do I see a property?
- Simply click the Schedule A Showing button on the listing of the home you’re interested in. These are self-service showings in most cases, so once you receive your custom lock-box code, you may go to the property and view it at your convenience. You will be required to submit credit card information for security reasons (the card will not be charged). Alternatively, you may schedule a showing with any licensed NC Realtor.
- We highly encourage every applicant to inspect the specific unit he/she is interested in before submitting a Rental Application.
- If it is impossible for you to personally inspect the home (or have someone do it for you), you will be required to complete a form confirming that you agree to rent the home Sight Unseen. Please note that your security deposit is non-refundable.
Q: What are the Application Requirements?
- All adults 18 years of age or older intending to live in the property must submit an application and pay the application fee. Applications will not be processed until fee is paid. Application Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Submit a complete application form. Include 3-yr rental history with complete landlord information and contact numbers.
- Each applicant must submit the following documents with their application:
- Valid ID with Picture
- 60-days Pay Stub/ Proof of Income and Employment
- Pet photo with Applicant in image (if pets are allowed)
Q: Can you briefly describe the Rental Application Process?
- Find a unit; inspect the interior; submit an application (see button above); post a security deposit; pay the first month's rent; sign a lease.
- Inspect the interior of the unit you are interested in. Everyone must inspect the specific unit he/she is interested in before submitting a Rental Application. You may schedule an appointment by clicking the "Schedule a Showing" button on most listings. These are self-service showings so you don’t need to wait for an agent! Our occupied homes will always require an accompanied showing and most NC Realtors are able to accompany you.
- Complete a Rental Application which is available here.
- You will need to have a valid Photo ID and have a valid Social Security Number.
- Our Application Fee is $60 per adult. We accept application fees via our site.
- We process each Rental Application as quickly as possible. Generally, all background checks are completed in 2-4 days. This often depends upon how long it takes your employer and previous landlords to get back to us.
- Assuming all vacancy repairs are completed, you can move into your home one week from the time your lease is signed. Approved applicants will be given 24 hours from the time the lease is sent to sign and return it. Once the lease is signed and returned, the applicant will be given 24 hours to pay the security deposit and any applicable lease fees. If the applicant does not complete these actions in the specified time frames, Alarca may continue to move forward with other applicants.
- Each Applicant is required to post a Security Deposit, sign a lease and pay one month's full rent before moving into their unit. The amount of the security deposit varies by property and rental rate but is typically equal to one month's rent.
- Keys will be released on the first (1st) day of occupancy as stated in the lease agreement. Request for keys earlier must be accompanied with additional pro-rated rent and must have Alarca Property Management's prior approval.
- If you are approved for a property, there is a one-time lease preparation and administration charge that is due prior to move in. This is separate from the application fee due upon submitting your application. This charge is not per person but a single charge for the preparation of the lease, itself. If you want to move into the home within several days of being approved, this lease preparation fee may be higher.
Q: How long does the Application Process take?
- Completing the application takes about 15-25 minutes.
- Processing the application generally takes 2-4 days, but we must have all of your documentation. The timeframe also depends upon how quickly your previous landlords or employers respond to our requests for information.
Q: How can I check the status of my Application?
- You will be sent a link to a Google Document that will show your application status in real time. The best way to know what is happening with your application is to check this link often and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or want to provide more information.
Q: How do you handle multiple applications for the same property?
- We do our best to process applications as quickly as possible to minimize the chance of receiving multiple applications on the same property. We are pledged to the letter and spirit U.S. Policy for the Achievement of Equal Housing Opportunity throughout the Nation and, as such, we utilize third-parties to process our applications. As a result, we are not necessarily aware of applications that have been received, but have as of yet not been approved or disapproved. Therefore, it is our policy to evaluate ALL submitted and paid-for applications for a home until an applicant has been approved and we have received the signed lease and full security deposit. ALL APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- The best way to ensure you get approved for a home is to fill out your application accurately and completely, send all of the required documentation to email@example.com and pay your application fee. Once you receive notice that you’re approved, send us your lease administrative fee, security deposit and signed lease as quickly as possible. When we have received these, the home is yours! Again, we need to have the Signed Lease AND the Security Deposit to reserve the home for you.
- Our properties are either Available or Leased. We do not consider a home off of the market until a lease has been signed and a security deposit has been received. If a home is shown here then it is still available for rent and we will evaluate your application.
Q: What if I submitted my application but someone else rented the home?
- We do our best to try and avoid this situation. Nobody is happy when this occurs. We will always review all applications and will offer the home to the most qualified applicant first. If they are unable to pay their deposit or execute the lease quickly, then we will offer the home to the next best qualified applicant and so on, until we’ve received an executed lease and security deposit. You may see our approval criteria here.
- If you meet our rental criteria but another applicant executed a lease, you may use your application towards another one of our homes for rent. We will consider your application valid for a period of thirty days after it has been received.
Q: Does Alarca Realty accept VISA/MasterCard?
- Only for application fees.
- We also offer online payment via electronic check for your monthly rental payments (for Free). You may also pay cash at any Seven Eleven store, Family Dollar Store or Ace Cash Express and get rent-credit immediately!
Q: How much is the Security Deposit?
- The Security Deposit varies by property and rental rate, but is typically equal to one month's rent.
Q: Briefly describe your Income, Credit & Rental History policies.
- To qualify for the advertised security deposit amount you must meet the following criteria. If your credit, residence history or income does not qualify, you may still be approved but at a higher security deposit amount.
- It is preferred that applicants have a combined gross income of three (3) times the monthly rent, but a minimum of 2.5 times the monthly rent may be accepted with an increased security deposit. A minimum of two years residential history is required. Rental history must be rated satisfactory or better, with no record of evictions. We reserve the right to require a co-signer and/or a higher security deposit. Co-signers are accepted at the managers discretion only and must meet all requirements.
- Credit history and/or Civil Court Records must not contain judgements, eviction filings, collections, liens or bankruptcy within the past three (3) years. We will not provide you with the credit report or tell you of its contents; however, we will provide you with the name of the credit reporting agency so you may receive a copy from the credit bureau. All information collected for the approval or denial of this application is considered confidential in nature and for company use only.
- If there are ANY eviction filings in the past three years, this is grounds for declination.
- Self employed applicants may be required to produce upon request two (2) years of signed tax returns or IRS 1099 forms. Non-employed applicants must provide proof of income.
- Valid current photo ID documentation (driver's license, military ID, or State ID) is required.
- Previous rental history reports from previous landlords must reflect timely payment, sufficient notice of intent to vacate, no complaints regarding noise, disturbances or illegal activities, no NSF checks, and no damage to rental property or failure to leave the property clean and without damage when you left the property.
- Current occupancy standards are a maximum of 2 persons per bedroom, except for infants under 4 years of age.
- No animals (with the exception of medically necessary animals) of any kind are permitted without the specific written permission of Alarca Property Management and an additional non-refundable administrative fee per animal. Some properties may require higher rent amounts. If a higher rent amount is required, you will be notified at the time of the application. The following pets will not be accepted under any circumstances, AKITAS, AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIERS, ALASKAN MALAMUTES, GERMAN SHEPHERDS, DOBERMANS, PIT BULLS, CHOWS, ROTTWIELERS, WOLVES or WOLF CROSS BREEDS.
- Some Homeowner and Condominium Associations may require a separate application. If such is the case, you must also apply separately to such association and approval by the homeowners or condo association is a necessary prerequisite to our approval of your application.
- Any exceptions to these criteria will need to be submitted in writing to Alarca Property Management for consideration. If approval is then given for such exceptions, additional security deposit, co-signers and/or additional "higher" rent may be required.
Q: How long will you 'hold' a unit?
- We will generally not hold a unit for more than two weeks, but this is a determining factor in evaluating your application. An applicant that can move in more quickly will get preference over another similar applicant.
Q: What do I do if I see repairs that I want made?
- Applicants must personally inspect the property and, as part of the application process, request any repairs they desire. We do our best to ensure that our vacant homes are ready to rent when they are listed for rent. Please let us know immediately of any repairs that you think need to be made.
- Any repair request added after submission of the Rental Application may not be completed prior to occupancy and can be accomplished at the convenience of the maintenance personnel.
Q: How long are your leases?
- Generally, 12 or 24 months.
- Leases revert to month-to-month tenancy at the end of the initial term unless the owner and the resident agree to a longer term.
Q: What about pets?
- The owner of each property reserves the right to prohibit or limit the number, size and type of pet allowed at the property. Typically, no more than 2 pets are allowed, even in single-family houses.
- If the owner and agent agree to a pet, an additional pet fee and signed Pet Addendum will be required.
- The following dogs are considered vicious and we can NEVER - under any circumstance - agree to allow one of these pets at a property - Akita, Chow, Pit Bull a.k.a Staffordshire Terrier, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Sharpei, German Shepherd, Alaskan Malamute, Doberman Pinscher and Wolf Hybrids.
Q: What about utilities?
- Generally, utilities are turned on prior to your move-in date so that we can verify the proper operation of the mechanical systems (heat, a/c, hot water, drains, outlets, etc). You need to make sure that utilities are transferred to your name no later than the first day of your lease (we encourage you to have them put into your name the day before your lease starts). YOU SHOULD CALL THE UTILITY COMPANIES AS SOON AS YOU HAVE AN EXECUTED LEASE.
- In winter months it can take the gas companies 7 -10 days to turn on your gas once it has been shut off. We have no control over this and there’s nothing we can do to expedite the process. Please make sure you call the gas company as quickly as possible once your lease is executed.
- We know it is a huge inconvenience to move into a home without heat, electricity or water, so we will generally leave utilities in our Company name for 3 - 5 days after your lease starts, in case you forget to call the utility companies. This is a service we provide for our tenants, and you will be responsible for the prorated amount of utilities on the bill, plus an administrative fee for each bill we must pay on your behalf.
- A: Complete information about electricity, natural gas, water & sewer, telephone, cable tv, garbage collection and even how to change your driver's license and license tag are found in our Utilities section.
Q: Do I need Renters Insurance?
- Yes, this is the best way to protect your furniture, clothing, appliances and personal belongings. Tenant's Form Homeowners Insurance also provides liability protection to you for a very nominal rate. It is highly recommended for all of our homes and some of our clients require that tenants have rental insurance.
Q: When can I get the keys to the home?
- Keys will be released on the first (1st) day of occupancy as stated in the lease agreement as long as the first month’s rent has been received. Requests for keys earlier must be accompanied with additional pro-rated rent and must have Alarca Property Management's prior approval.
- We schedule final cleaning, utility shut-offs, final walk-throughs etc., based on your indicated move date and need at least one week’s notice if you’d like to move in earlier. Lease modification charges may apply if we are able to modify your move-in date.
Q: How much rent is due when?
- Rent is always due on the first day of the month and is late at any time after midnight on the sixth day of the month. We generally file evictions on the 11th day of each month.
- We always require a MINIMUM OF ONE MONTH’S RENT to move into a home. Therefore, your SECOND MONTH will be prorated. The amounts due and the dates due are shown at the top of the first page of our lease. Additionally, we must always have the full security deposit and pet fees prior to move in.
- If you move into your home during the last ten days of a month, you will be required to pay the ten days of prorated rent PLUS the entire next month of rent in order to move in.
- The following examples apply to a rent of $1,200 per month.
- Your lease starts on the first of the month. This one’s easy! You will get the keys when you pay $1,200 of rent on the first. Next month’s rent of $1,200 will be due on the first day of next month.
- Your lease starts on the 15th. You will get the keys when you pay $1,200 of rent. Next month’s rent will only be $600, but it will be due on the 1st day of the month. Your third month’s rent will be $1,200 and will be due on the first day of the third month.
- Your lease starts on the 21st of a 30 day month. You will get the keys when you pay $1,600 of rent and you won’t owe rent until the first day of the month AFTER next month (or about 40 days after you move in).
- Again, the first page of your lease will clearly show how much rent is due when.
Charlotte Headquarters106 Langtree Village Drive, Ste 301
Mooresville, NC 28117
O: (704) 900-3354
F: (704) 973-9248